DIYish glass water filter!

I've been looking for a glass (or safe ceramic) filtering water pitcher but have been dismayed by the very high price...but meanwhile three of my plastic filtering water pitchers cracked in the last few months! and I really didn't want to buy another. But last evening I realized I could simply set the filtering mechanism into most of my pitchers I already had! Yes, it looks a little odd, but actually better than the plastic ever did, and now I don't have to worry about any consequences of my water sitting in plastic for ages.

a picture that shows you the setup:



my retro setup:


You can see a bit of a candle in the room where I had breakfast today...my "hourglass" 5-minute timer...my odd homemade bread...my covering up of the too-bright light from the anachronistic microwave...and much prettier pitchers for my filtered water.