Marvelous Masala Chai (milky spiced Indian tea)

My Favorite Masala Chai


like my love of my life made for me!!

I've included tips on preventing hard-to-clean-up stovetop boil-overs! Though there is cleanup of the pot, it is very much worth it.

Put into a high-sided pan (I love a Turkish coffee pan because it really helps milk not boil over; I found a high-quality Cuisinox Turkish Coffee Pot on Wayfair in stainless steel; I like a 3-cup for one serving, because it gives plenty of room to prevent accidents; note you do want this made fresh, not leftover).



If possible, add a thermometer that will beep when you're near boiling if you've set it properly ­– I use a ThermoWorks Dot set to 210F (if you anticipate being a room away from your stove, I'd set it a little lower; also I wouldn't go farther away; you can tell I've had a million boil-overs!). (Note there are many counterfeit, overpriced "ThermoWorks"; instead buy directly from ThermoWorks at their official site).



Put into the pan and put over a medium heat/flame:

heaping ¼ tsp ground cardamom

¼ tsp ground cinnamon

1 small grind black pepper

½" fresh ginger sliced (or if necessary a generous shake of ground ginger)

1 heaping tsp sugar

1 cup milk

2 Tbl water

1 tsp whole leaf Assam tea (or 1 teabag of favorite black tea is fine)

When it has come to a boil, remove the thermometer, turn down the heat to make it barely simmer, and let it simmer for 8 minutes.

Serve into a cup or mug through a strainer.

Much adapted from Mallika Basu's recipe in Miss Masala. Note that whole spices are easier to clean up, but I actually prefer this with the ground.