A delectable cucumber recipe from 1911

I rarely see recipes for cooking cucumbers, though every one I've tried has been delicious. I think this one was the most delicious of all! I tried it in joining in with the lovely cooks over at http://starbakes.blogspot.my/ . It's from the 1911 The International Cook Book by Filippini. I used sherry vinegar, but I think others would be good too...And I didn't have white pepper, but love "normal" black and don't mind seeing the pepper. I read that a saltspoon quantity is our 1/4 teaspoon, though I just did the pepper to taste. I served it with leftover steak stir-fried with some onion for taste and reviving (we have steak like once every two years so I'm a little clueless), and some jarred roasted red pepper (it's out of season now but I was craving some)...