A Daybook Entry

I'm trying for the first time to join with the lovely people over at...
 
 
who write about their simply real days....The catch for me is that the only really active blog I have going right now (this one) is about food...but it's not much of a catch, because it is a very rare day when I'm not doing something about food!
______________________________
For Today...Monday August 3, 2015
Outside my window...
are lots and lots of green trees of many sorts, and glimpses of a nearby cabin-like home. We moved recently and are so very very happy here.
I am thinking...
of the fun time I've been having over the last couple months haunting nearby thrift shops, on the hunt for lovely old lamps I find are more reliable than brand-new ones these days.
I am thankful...
I got reassured about one other need, for a mirror in which I can actually see myself to check if I'm presentable, that indeed these thrift shops carry them, it's just I'll need to keep looking to find something I adore.
I am wearing...
my coolest cotton dress, purplish! that I wore with a pinkish little sweater to go out earlier today.
I am creating...
a very new project to do with menus...
I am going...
to visit our children soon.
I am wondering...
if I should change tonight's menu, it's sounding less wonderful to me than it did yesterday, though it has the advantage that it will use the last of the dill that seems to be going bye-bye out in my teensy garden.
I am reading...
A.A. Milne's (as in Winnie the Pooh) collection of columns he wrote for Punch magazine long ago.
I am hoping...
a very dear friend's pregnancy will continue to be marvelous.
I am learning...
more about old London from an old Folio book. Just up to Richard II today.
In my garden...
um, having trouble with the dill. Any ideas for if I want to try again next year? All the other herbs are doing pretty well.
In my kitchen...
Last night some delicious chicken that was in the freezer with some okay noodles and vegetables also in there, made better with the jus from the chicken -- my husband called it Pasta au Jus.
This morning a nice muesli from Megan Gordon's Whole Grain Mornings book, served with some pretty good fresh raspberries -- the only half-decent organic berries I found in a grocery store I (for this reason) rarely frequent.
Tonight was going to be an old New York Times menu...



A favorite quote for today...
One goes through life…leaving books unread, music unheard, pictures unseen, and though it is very reprehensible, in some ways it is comforting to think that there are so many lovely things yet to be learned. - Beverley Nichols, A Thatched Roof
(another book I'm reading, just as slowly as the A.A. Milne one)


A peek into one of my days...
Up with the birdies and their admiring indoor kitties.
Very slow breakfast.
Ready for the day.
Work on my projects -- most to do with history, most with food history.
Visit with loved ones.
Easy lunch.
More project work, usually more the studying/research kind.
Cook dinner.
Relax with Mr. Wonderful Husband.
One of my favorite things...
The Ocean.