This Week's Cookbooks


I've already started this batch and am really enjoying using menu ideas from this cool 1939 spiral-bound Modern Meal Maker: 1115 Menus, 744 Recipes by Martha Meade.



It has an interesting page in it titled "Bringing Back the Good Old Days"! You can find copies of this that are still pretty reasonably priced, I just saw. Here are some more details about it from a very cool website: http://cookbookoftheday.blogspot.com/2012/03/modern-meal-maker.html .

Hmm, when I looked up that cookbook's title, I discovered a cool truly modern meal maker site! http://modernmealmaker.com/

I also enjoyed the other retro source here, the Fish & Shellfish booklet from this 1950s Good Housekeeping's Cookbooks binder. I got a fantastic deal on mine, though it's harder to get that nowadays, especially in good condition....


In fact, with the help of these retro sources, I'm very surprised and happy to have cut our food budget in half, which is crazy! and actually to have made my husband happier with the food itself -- he's into comfort food right now! which includes lots of inexpensive! fall vegetables and homemade bread but very few and often costly convenience products.