A charming retro cookbook, 1927

Electric Refrigerator Recipes and Menus, by my favorite retro cookbook author, Alice Bradley:

My favorite part is, as usual, the menus (especially since Ms. Bradley's menus in general are among my favorites). I especially appreciate menu ideas for weekend guests, and this book does not disappoint.



She suggests for Saturday breakfast

orange juice cocktail
farina with cream
scrambled eggs
muffins
doughnuts
coffee, cocoa, milk

-- love the sudden appearance of doughnuts after an already generous spread!

I was mystified by the remark on the above page that you could get "small pans...so that two frozen things like frozen pineapple and frozen cheese may be put into the chilling unit at the same time." It was explained by this photo on another page, however -- I guess that little bit at the top right got colder? --


You can find this book free at http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924090161070;view=1up;seq=1 ; I was able to secure a beautiful physical copy for a very low cost about a year ago. Do be careful of course if you haven't bought antique books before; today I saw someone selling a copy that was in dreadful condition for 4x the price I saw elsewhere; another person claimed the book was from the 1800s! There are other editions; here is a charming one: